Hello there; today is Towel Day, which was created in 2001 by fans of author Douglas Adams. I’m back with your copy of the Los Angeles Daily, fresh off the presses. Here are all the most important things to know about what’s happening in town today…
Why did a couple of men take shots at a CHP officer? Also, is Elon Musk going into the restaurant business in Hollywood? Finally, Northeast LA is getting some new playgrounds!
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny. High: 78 Low: 59.
Poll: Who Should Be The Next Los Angeles Mayor?
Please share your thoughts! (As of today, Rick Caruso leads the pack with 52.9% of your votes, and Karen Bass is in second place with 25.8%.)
Where’s The Cheapest Gallon Of Regular Gasoline In Los Angeles?
USA Gasoline at 2251 N Figueroa St.$5.75
Valero at 500 S Alameda St.$5.80
Speedway at 1205 S Alvarado St.$5.85
We Got It at 1467 W Sunset Blvd.$5.85
arc at 1605 Glendale Blvd.$5.89
Here are the top stories in Los Angeles today:
- there was a Tuesday morning shooting at 3rd Street and Ford Boulevard. Two men are alleged to have opened fire on a California Highway Patrol officer who was driving by. Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department came to the officer’s help and were also fired upon. “One suspect was struck by gunfiretaken into custody and is currently at a local hospital, receiving medical treatment.” The other one is on the loose. (The Eastsider LA)
- How many hours are in Elon Muskit’s day? We learned on Tuesday that in addition to everything else he’s got cooking, he filed papers with the City for possibly replacing “an existing Shakey’s pizza chain location at 7001 W. Santa Monica Boulevard in Hollywood, dropping in a 24-hour restaurant with 9,300 square feet of total space.” You may remember that Musk talked about opening “an old school drive-in, roller skates & rock restaurant” all the way back in 2018. (Eater LA)
- City Council Member Kevin de León wants to bring 18 new playgrounds to Northeast LA in the next two years. He said Tuesday that “parks in Boyle Heights, El Sereno, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, and Eagle Rock are slated to get the new play areas.” To make these improvements to the 14th District, de León earmarked $12.4 million of the $17 million in grant money the district receives. (Spectrum News 1)
- Scammers are targeting EBT clients. They are calling, texting, or even visiting the homes of EBT cardholders. Do not share information with anyone, but call 866-613-3777 with questions or report robocalls to 800-593-8222. (SPSS)
- Are you planning on traveling over Memorial Day weekend? The experts have some input on the best and worst times. “The worst corridor to travel in Los Angeles would be southbound I-5 from Colorado Street to Florence Avenueon May 27 between 4:45 pm and 6:45 pm” The best times seem to be between 1 pm and 4 pm (Fox)
From our sponsor:
Hey Los Angeles— need something done in your home? Check out our new Local Businesses feature in Los Angeles to find top-rated local pros for gardening, plumbing, house cleaning and so much more!
Today in Los Angeles:
- Immersive Frida Kahlo at 6400 Sunset Blvd. (11 AM)
- Film Screening Of Jamon Jamon at the SideShow Cinematheque (3 PM)
- Ethan Tasch With Call at The Moroccan Lounge (6:30 PM)
- Winnetka Bowling League at The Peppermint Club (7:30 PM)
- Ricky Roberts And Eric Wielo perform at the Hollywood Improv (The Lab) (8 PM)
From my notebook:
- Looking for family fun for Memorial Day Weekend? 😎 THE FLEET WEEK 🚢 returns to San Pedro! Festivities start on May 27th and go through Memorial Day Weekend. This event is FREE – no tickets or admission required. (instagram)
- A Loyola Village neighbor has questions about regular IRA conversion to Roth IRA. Who is the right consultant to use? Any ideas? (Next Door)
- Our Eagle Rock North neighbor is wondering if anyone knows where they can find David Austin climbing roses at a good price in the LA region? (Next Door)
- A neighbor in the Hollywood Studio District W area lost their cat in the 90038 area. Has anyone seen him? (Next Door)
- A Highland Park North neighbor needs ice packs. If anyone gets deliveries with ice packs they don’t need, your neighbor would be happy to recycle them and put them to good use! (Next Door)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Join The Beauty Foodie Club…Love to Party for Good on 5-5 @ 5:25 (May 25)
- The Tree of the Mesopotamian Opera (May 25)
- Regency West Presents :: Leimert Park Comedy Nights (May 26)
- [Free Masterclass] Increase Your Website Sales & Leads Using SEO (May 28)
- Harm Reduction: Being Safe with Psychedelics (May 31)
- Add your event
Gigs & services:
- Come experience Santa Monica luxury at NMS 1548 6th Street! (Details)
- The best location for Santa Monica Apartments is NMS1539 4th (Details)
- Add your listing
Loving the Los Angeles Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with another update!
— Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live out Micah 6:8.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Los Angeles Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org