Hello there; today is National Sea Serpent Day, which commemorates an 1848 sighting of a 60-foot creature off the HMS Daedalus. Sylvia here with your fresh copy of the Los Angeles Daily, filled with all the local information you need to know right now. Let’s do this…
Prosecutors are now dealing with the determination of whether to file criminal charges in the catastrophic car wreck in Windsor Hills. Also, an escaped inmate had less than 12 hours of freedom. Finally, LADOT is busy making streets safer.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the Los Angeles Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
Now, today’s weather:
Partly sunny. High: 90 Low: 67.
FYI: To locate a cooling center in Los Angeles, call 3-1-1, reach out to the Los Angeles Public Library Public Information Office at (213) 228-7555, or find your nearest location and its hours on the current list of county facilities .
🚗 Three Of The Cheapest Gas Stations In Los Angeles 🚗
- Berri Brothers at 3860 E 3rd St.$4.59
- arc at 2740 E Olympic Blvd.$4.89
- Kwik Serv at 2600 N Figueroa St.$4.99
💻 Back To School Poll!
The kids are going back to school soon. Should schools still take COVID precautions? Please let me know your thoughts! As of right now, 42.4% say the kids should just go back to school, 21.6% say that kids should wear masks, 33.1% want there to be distancing and sanitizing, while 2.9% prefer distance learning for the kids.
Here are the top stories today in Los Angeles:
- the drivers who allegedly caused Thursday’s devastating crash in the Windsor Hills neighborhood is said to be a 37-year-old “traveling nurse from Houston working in Los Angeles.” Her “Mercedes-Benz sedan never appeared to brake as it flew through the intersection, and . . . detectives are looking into whether (she) had a medical episode or was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.” Prosecutors will likely decide on Monday”whether to file criminal charges.” (Click 2 Houston)
- An inmate escaped Friday morning from the West Hollywood Sheriff’s station during transport loading. He was recaptured in the late afternoon “in the 6300 block of Glade Avenue in Woodland Hills.” Officials are close-mouthed about “the charge that the inmate had been in jail for.” (ABC)
- LADOT is working to make several intersections safer. On Friday, we learned that technicians installed “a new crosswalk at Barrington Avenue and at Missouri Avenue,” which makes access to Stoner Park safer. On Saturday, we saw that LADOT “recently installed a full traffic signal, access ramps, and crosswalk at the intersection of Cummings and Marengo.” (Mike Bonin, LADOT)
- An Eagle Rock history buff sounds the alarm. We learned on Friday that “there’s a demo notice on the 1919 service station at 1659 W Colorado, across from Casa Bianca. It’s a CA historical resource on Survey LA.” (Esotouric)
- the Children’s Hospital of LA is hiring! And what they’relooking for is a “full-time baby cuddler.” Friday’s announcement explained that “the new position will be a part of its baby cuddler-program, Koala Corps, which is a program that was designed to support critical newborn infants by holding and cuddling them.” (NBC)
Today in Los Angeles:
- FREE Allyson Felix Race For Change at ROW DTLA (10 AM)
- Dogust Adoption Event at the West Los Angeles Animal Shelter (11 AM)
- Mike Birbiglia at the Mark Taper Forum (1 PM)
- Soulful Sunday Open Mic at Sola Beehive (3 PM)
- Free Outdoor Comedy at the Verdugo Bar (9 PM)
From my notebook:
- Earlier this week, Major Eric Garcetti welcomed the first car of the Automated People Mover — an electric train that will take travelers to renovated terminals, parking structures, Metro rail, and a new rental car facility. (Major Eric Garcetti via Instagram)
- Our neighbor in the Cheviot Hills area says their mail is only getting delivered 3-4 times a week. Anyone else experiencing the same with their delivery? (Next Door)
- Meet Councilmember Krekorian August 10 at the NoHo West Neighborhood Council Meeting, 6:30 pm. (Next Door)
- A Little Holmby-Westwood area neighbor has a question on Frontier fiber optic Wi-Fi. Does anyone in Westwood or WLA area have experience with Frontier fiber optic WiFi service? (Next Door)
- Our Glassell Park neighbor is looking for a recommendation for a local(ish) DOG TRAINER specializing in behavioral issues. They’re looking for private training sessions, not a group class. (Next Door)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- The Sweetest Ice Cream Party for Talented, Creative Kids (August 7)
- Divorce Boot Camp – Vesta Beverly Hills/South Bay, CA Hub (August 10)
- Leimert Park Comedy Nights :: Bring It To Me (August 11)
- Summer Swing Nights – 5th Anniversary (August 12)
- Summer Swing Nights – 5th Anniversary (August 13)
- Summer Swing Nights – 5th Anniversary (August 14)
- Add your event
💛 Loving the Los Angeles Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved: 💛
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so that they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll be in your inbox Tuesday morning with another update!
— Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live out Micah 6:8.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Los Angeles Daily? Contact me at [email protected]