Adelaide Remand Center general manager revealed as the who stole $100,000 prisoners of suspect’ money

A suppression order on the identity of Adelaide Remand Center’s general manager, who is charged with theft, has now been lifted.

Brenton Williams is accused of stealing more than $100,000 of prisoners’ money.

The offense was allegedly committed between April 27 and July 27 this year.

The 47-year-old was arrested last week and charged with an aggravated count of dishonestly taking property without consent.

His identity was suppressed by the Adelaide Magistrates Court “in the interests of the administration of justice”.

The Adelaide Remand Center general manager is accused of stealing more than $100,000 of prisoner’s cash. (ABC News: Alina Eaton)

That suppression order was lifted today, after the police prosecutor confirmed she did not want to pursue it.

The Department for Correctional Services says it will launch an independent investigation into theft.

“The department’s main priorities are the welfare of employees at the Adelaide Remand Center and the person who is currently before the courts,” a departmental spokeswoman said last week.

Serco, the private company that runs prisons in Adelaide’s CBD, said it would also be working with police.

Williams did not apply for bail and was remanded in custody, with the case scheduled to return to court in October.

Corrections Minister Joe Szakacs said the allegations are deeply concerning.

“It is incredibly disappointing to be informed of these serious allegations relating to the senior Serco employee at the privately run Adelaide Remand Centre,” said Mr Szakacs.

‚ÄúThese are serious allegations, which I’m deeply concerned about.

“I want answers, and a full review is being undertaken by DCS to investigate this matter.

“As the matter is now before the courts, the state government cannot make any further comment.”

Leave a Comment