us passengers in north and east London will face major disruption to their journeys in September as drivers vote for industrial action demanding fairer wages.
The bus strike will potentially affect 49 routes, including major buses such as the 19 from Finsbury Park to Battersea, the 38 from Victoria to Clapton, the 73 from Oxford Circus to Stokey and the N29 from Trafalgar Square to Enfield.
Drivers based at Arriva’s Ash Grove, Barking, Clapton, Edmonton, Enfield, Palmers Green, Tottenham, and Wood Green bus garages will be taking part in the industrial action, impacting commuter routes throughout all of London north of the Thames.
Find out below which London bus routes could be affected during the industrial action.
When will the bus strikes take place?
More than 1,400 bus drivers who are members of Unite, the UK’s leading union representing 20,000 London bus workers, are being asked to vote for or against the strikes.
Voting starts on August 5 and runs throughout the month, with strikes planned for September if workers vote for industrial action.
It is unconfirmed how long the strikes will last – further information is expected to be released after the election results are announced.
Why are bus drivers striking?
According to the Unite union, the vote is a result of Arriva, one of the UK’s biggest bus operators, failing to make a pay offer.
Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Arriva is a tremendously wealthy company. Instead of siphoning its profits abroad it should be offering Arriva bus workers at a fair wage.
“Unite’s primary focus is always on defending and enhancing the jobs, pay and conditions of its members, and the workers at Arriva in London will receive the union’s full support until this dispute is resolved.”
Unite is currently involved in a continuous all out strike of Arriva members in the North West and is balloting its members at the company in Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, and Hertfordshire for industrial action, as well as those working in Kent and Essex for industrial action over pay .
A spokesperson for Arriva told MyLondon: “We are extremely disappointed to see this action from Unite, when discussions are still in their infancy and no pay offers have yet been discussed.
“Unite know we have scheduled a meeting later this month, so to ballot for strike action in advance of that meeting taking place goes against the spirit of engagement that we are committed to.”
What bus routes are affected?
Here is a list of the bus routes that will be affected by the strikes:
- 158 Chingford Mount to Stratford
- 259 Edmonton Green to King’s Cross
- N279 Trafalgar Square to Waltham Cross
- 121 Turnpike Lane to Enfield Island Village
- 279 Waltham Cross to Manor House
- 313 Potters Bar to Chingford Station
- 318 North Middlesex Hospital to Stamford Hill Garage
- 349 Ponders End to Stamford Hill Garage
- 377 Oakwood Station to Ponders End
- W6 Southgate Station to Edmonton Green
Palmers Green Garage
- 102 Brent Cross to Edmonton Green
- 141 Palmers Green to London Bridge Station
- 329 Enfield Town to Turnpike Lane
- 340 Edgware Station to Harrow Bus Station
- 675 Walthamstow St James’s St to Woodbridge High School
- N102 Golders Green to Edmonton Green
- 19 Finsbury Park to Battersea
- 41 Tottenham Hale to Archway
- 123 Ilford to Wood Green
- 149 Edmonton Green to London Bridge
- 230 Wood Green to Upper Walthamstow
- 243 Wood Green to Waterloo
- 318 Stamford Hill to North Middlesex Hospital
- 341 Northumberland Park to Westminster (County Hall)
- N19 Finsbury Park to Clapham Junction
- N41 Tottenham Hall to Trafalgar Square
Wood Green Garage
- 29 Wood Green to Trafalgar Square
- 144 Edmonton Green to Muswell Hill
- 221 Edgware Station to Turnpike Lane
- W3 Finsbury Park to Northumberland Park
- W4 Ferry Lane Estate to Oakthorpe Park
- N29 Trafalgar Square to Enfield Town
Ash Grove Garage
- 78 Shoreditch to Nunhead
- 106 Finsbury Park to Whitechapel
- 254 Holloway to Aldgate
- 128 Claybury to Romford
- 150 Chigwell Row to Becontree Heath
- 175 Dagenham to North Romford
- 325 East Beckton to Prince Regent
- 368 Barking to Chadwell Heath
- 38 Clapton Pond to Victoria
- 73 Stoke Newington to Oxford Circus
- 242 Homerton Hospital to Aldgate
- 253 Hackney Central to Euston
- N38 Victoria Station to Walthamstow Central
- N73 Walthamstow Central to Oxford Circus
- N242 Homerton Hospital to St Paul’s
- N253 Tottenham Court Road Station to Aldgate