Skye Tamarama’s $20 million penthouse apartments back up for sale

Sydney’s newest $20 million-plus beachside apartment penthouses have finally been put back up for sale after they were abruptly pulled off the market eight months ago in a row with the NSW Building Commissioner over fire regulations.

The two penthouses were built on top of a seven-level 1960s building in Tamarama as part of an ambitious scheme for their sale to finance the $50 million renovation and refurbishment of the entire 78-apartment block.

Sydney's newest beachside apartment penthouses.

Sydney’s newest beachside apartment penthouses.Credit:skye tamarama

Skye Tamarama – previously known as Glenview Court – has now finally received a construction certificate, following a shock stopwork order slapped on the building by the Office of the Building Commissioner in December 2021 just as it was about to be finished.

Fair Trading building and construction compliance director Matthew Whitton said 2019 building code legislation required that sprinklers be installed on every level of the building, while unit owners argued that their lawyers had advised the 2016 standard – which called for fewer sprinklers – applied to the older mass of the building.

Now, with sprinklers just in the new basement car park and the two new penthouses, the order has been lifted. It’s expected the occupation certificate will be issued shortly, too, which means that owners will be able to finally move back into the rest of the building.

“The certifier has now signed off on the building, which is a huge relief,” strata committee chair Christine Smetsers said of the old brutalist building which has now been given a major facelift, as well as the addition of the two penthouses, the two -level car park, balconies or courtyards onto units and a new wave-shaped roof.

The apartment building in Illawong Avenue, Tamarama, has been redeveloped.

The apartment building in Illawong Avenue, Tamarama, has been redeveloped.Credit:edwina pickles

“We proposed this [sprinkler] solution eight months ago, but it’s taken this long to resolve the situation. It’s been very distressing for everyone, and it does feel as though it’s something that didn’t need to happen. But now we are happy that we’re moving forward, and everyone will be back in the building in about three weeks.”

It was the final hitch in a massively complex operation to overhaul the eyesore block sitting conspicuously on a ridge on Illawong Avenue, overlooking the beach. The long-running saga began in 2011 when the building was served with numerous fire orders and found to be riddled with concrete cancer.

Leave a Comment