Woman Shot After Opening Fire Inside Dallas Love Field Airport – NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

What to Know

  • Gunfire was reported inside Dallas Love Field Airport just after 11 am
  • A woman was transported from the scene by Dallas Fire-Rescue after police say she fired several rounds inside the airport. Witnesses tell NBC 5 that the woman said something about her marriage before the shooting.
  • Rockwall Chief of Police Max Geron was in the TSA security line and told NBC 5 he heard several shots near a ticket counter.

A woman pulled out a gun inside Dallas Love Field Airport late Monday morning and began shooting toward the ceiling, Dallas police say. The woman, who witnesses said was yelling about her marriage to her, was confronted and shot by officers. No other injuries have been reported.

Dallas Chief of Police Eddie Garcia said the woman, identified only as a 37-year-old, was dropped off at the airport just before 11 am and that once inside she went into a restroom and changed clothes.

Garcia said the woman exited the restroom wearing a hoody or something other than what she arrived in, pulled out a gun and started firing several shots. Most of the shots, Garcia said, appeared to be directed toward the ceiling.

“At this point, we don’t know where exactly the individual was aiming. From what we are seeing she was aiming at the ceiling,” Garcia said. “There are several rounds that were found.”

Officers inside the airport confronted the woman and shot her in her lower extremities. The woman was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital in an unknown condition. No further information about her de ella or the motivation behind the shooting or who dropped her off de ella at the airport has been confirmed by police.

Cell phone video shared with NBC 5 showed travelers on the ground, behind chairs at the gates and sheltering in place while the shooting unfolded.

The investigation is ongoing and Garcia said he expected elements to change as more is learned about what happened. Dallas Police said they do not plan to release any other statements until Tuesday afternoon. Agents with the Dallas FBI’s field office were seen at the airport along with Dallas Police. The FAA told NBC 5 that the incident is a police matter.


Colby James spoke with NBC 5 Monday afternoon and said he was standing near the woman when she pulled out a gun and started shooting.

James said the woman said she had an announcement to make and said something about her husband cheating.

“She basically said her announcement, talking about her husband was cheating or something. And she basically said she was about to blow this sucker up. After she said that she pulled out a gun. She fired the first shot in the air and basically, everybody scattered,” James said. “We were running. There were 10-12 more shots after that.”


Max Geron, Chief of Police in Rockwall, told NBC 5 in a phone interview Monday morning that he and his family were going through security when they heard gunshots.

Geron said a number of shots were heard near a baggage or ticket counter area. He said he grabbed his kids and that the TSA agents responded quickly by shuffling travelers into secure areas.

He said the TSA then got word that “the shooter was down” and they were evacuated out of the airport and sequestered in an outdoor location.


All flights inbound to Dallas Love are currently being held at their departure location until 2:30 pm, per the FAA. Outbound flights are running about an hour behind schedule, according to FlightAware.

Travelers are encouraged to check the status of their flight before heading to the airport. Love Field tweeted Monday afternoon that travelers should not come to the airport before checking the status of their flight.

The TSA tweeted just before noon they were working to get travelers through security and inside out of the heat but that they didn’t have a time for when they would be caught up.

Video from inside the airport Monday afternoon showed a congested scene with travelers filling the lobby area near ticketing and baggage claim.

Plans that landed in the hour or so after the incident were temporarily being held on the apron before proceeding to the gates.

Southwest Airlines issued the following statement early Monday afternoon saying they “paused all departures and arrivals as we wait for additional information from authorities” and that “there’s no greater priority for us than the safety of our employees and customers, all of which are reportedly safe .”

Lynn Lunsford, with the FAA, told NBC 5 after noon Monday that there was no immediate estimate Monday afternoon on the number of flights diverted due to the incident.

This story is developing. Check back and refresh the page as some of the elements may change. NBC 5’s Scott Friedman, Scott Gordon, Sophia Beausoleil and David Goins contributed to this report.

Leave a Comment